Jan 04, 2017

Living SAM: Top 2017 Trends

Living SAM: 2017 Trends

In the truest sense of the term, Software Asset Management (SAM) is a dynamic discipline. The software industry is constantly evolving and effective SAM needs to be nurtured, quickly adapting to complex market demands. As we enter 2017, it’s a good opportunity to take a closer look at top SAM focus areas for the upcoming year.

1. Cloud and Hybrid-Cloud

Cloud adoption is booming. Think Office 365, Azure, AWS, ServiceNow, SFDC, Google Apps, WorkDay to name a few. But, the convenience of cloud licensing also brings pitfalls for non-compliance. Cloud use is measured by consumption-driven metrics, so one of the biggest risks in cloud licensing is the serious financial risk of unplanned costs if you use more than you’ve budgeted for. As you integrate cloud into your environment, it’s important to have a SAM tool that accurately tracks your cloud usage, and analyzes cloud metrics for complete license optimization.

2. Expanding SAM Impact

In 2017, expect SAM’s reach to expand from the confines of license management. As SAM matures, companies are wisely realizing that SAM benefits reach far beyond IT and compliance. This connection allows stakeholders across your organization to better understand the value, return and risk of their software assets and leverage the true value of SAM to drive business decisions.

3. Strategic SAM

Senior management is demanding a more strategic approach for executing software contracts and provide licensing recommendations. Executive leadership understands that 30%+ of the IT budget is focused on software, and that software hugely impacts larger business operations since it is used/required by the people and the technology consuming the remaining 70% of IT budget.

strategic SAM predictions

Desktops now take a back seat to Server Management. Companies know that the deepest savings are in data center. With breakthrough capabilities like SmartTrack Optimization and Simulation a whole new set of options like endlessly designing architecture scenarios without any system changes exist. This technology facilitates proactive decision-making across the organization, identifying the biggest cost savings and how to configure them.

4. Smaller Vendors

As the SAM market matures, we start thinking beyond the mega-vendors. Smaller vendors emerge as a priority and need to be on your radar. Don’t get caught unprepared. Keep a close watch on your less than average suspects, and make sure you have a tool that focuses on everything – and everyone. Vendors like Oracle Jetbrains, Tibco, Attachmate, HPE, CA are all on that list…

5. Mobile Management

Tablets, smartphones and BYOD popularity push SAM capabilities past traditional channels. As technology continues to fuse into the Internet of Things (IoT), we will be re-evaluating and growing our SAM programs to protect us from risk and increase optimization in every environment.

Sign up for future blog posts



Topics: Cloud, Data Center, License Optimization, SAM Insights




Comments (2):

wrote on

Jim,
These are very good areas of focus for 2017. Thanks for put the list together. If you allow me I would recommend to add a focus area for CyberSecurity. I always mention SAM and IT Security should work very close to each other. With recent news about DDoS attacks and other threads plus the increase of devices connected to internet (IoT) I think it is highly recommended for organization to create alliances between their SAM department with their ITSecurity department. Both can obtain benefits of what each group is collecting. What (SW) we have out there that can be a potential risk for the company?


wrote on

Jose,

Aspera is in complete agreement with your suggestion that SAM and IT Security should be aligned. Many companies we work with have a strong intersection between the roles of managing their software estate and ensuring that it is constantly protected.

Aspera can provide a full software inventory which can be cross examined using various security and other cyber smart tools to identify and potential risks.

Jim